Aussie Soapers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for soap making addicts in Australia and New Zealand.

2 posters

Is copha the same as fractionated coconut oil?

dhberry
    dhberry

Is copha the same as fractionated coconut oil? Empty Is copha the same as fractionated coconut oil?

Post by dhberry Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:49 am

I'm new to soaping. I made my first batch with extra virgin coconut oil. It was expensive, so I decided to try to use copha because it's a lot cheaper and I read that it's coconut oil. It's hydrogenated, so the fats in it are different than extra virgin coconut oil. But is the hydrogenated fat in copha the same as fractionated coconut oil? I use soapcalc.com as my lye calculater and there's a big difference between 76, 92, and fractionated coconut oil in terms of qualities and lye amounts. I've gathered that extra virgin is 76 (its melting point), but I don't know which one copha falls under. someone help! Question
    rubyred
    rubyred

Is copha the same as fractionated coconut oil? Empty copha and coconut

Post by rubyred Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:18 pm

DHBerry I've been looking for the answer to this for a while. In the meantime I've made about 60 batches all with copha I just key it into the soap calculator as coconut and no problems. I've even made a few batches of 100% coconut (copha) and again, no problems. So I have embraced copha.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 pm