Aussie Soapers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for soap making addicts in Australia and New Zealand.

5 posters

question

Soap_mum
    Soap_mum

question Empty question

Post by Soap_mum Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:40 pm

hey all

so im going through recipes and my stash of supplies, im wondering why some basic recipes say palm oil, and some say lye, wouldnt having a palm oil base with coconut oil be a more organic blend....

Thanks in advance

Soap-mum

Ally
    Ally
    Admin

question Empty Re: question

Post by Ally Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:05 am

Oils and lye are two different parts of soap making. If you're doing cold process, you'll need lye in every batch (with or without palm oil depending on the recipe) to react with the oils to make the actual soap. The fun part is making recipies with different types of oils to find out what blend is your favourite.

Missnatty
    Missnatty

Post by Missnatty Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:27 am

Last edited by Missnatty on Tue May 29, 2012 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    Ally
    Ally
    Admin

Post by Ally Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:41 am

yeah, that's what I was thinking!
    Missnatty
    Missnatty

Post by Missnatty Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:29 am

Last edited by Missnatty on Tue May 29, 2012 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    Soap_mum
    Soap_mum

Post by Soap_mum Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:12 pm

ladies

thank you so much for your responces, i must have been having a bad moment when i posted that question because what i was actually referring to was using tallow in soap...hpwever reviewing further recipes i concluded that i wont be using it in the next few batches that i do (on the weekend)..

the course i did was in perth at a place called Herbal delights with a gentleman named Joseph but that was about 9 months ago, so im now trying to make sense of all i learnt..

Im going to experiment a bit with oil bases because i want a beautiful moisturing soap, from the top of my head, im thinking avocado oil or olive oil (hopefully it wont be a mess), but i guess ill see.

its so nice to know i have a wealth of information here.

regards

Soap_mum Smile
    Ally
    Ally
    Admin

Post by Ally Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:29 am

ahh... now it makes sense! Personally I stick to vegetable oils in my soaps, the thought of beef fat in there for some reason grosses me out.

The first batch of soap I ever made had both olive oil and avocado oil in it. Avocado is great but keep the levels low.

A great page I use for getting an idea of maximum usage level for most oils is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . When I'm creating a new recipe I have that open in one window, and soap calc open in another, and I flick between them!
    Lynnz
    Lynnz

Post by Lynnz Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:16 am

I agree guys tallow freaks me out but they do say it makes lovely soap!!!!!! Soap Mum if altering your recipes dont forget to run them through a lye calculator as the amount you need to use is likely to change :0)
    coligny
    coligny

Post by coligny Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:49 am

affraid 

Last edited by coligny on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not relevant anymore)
    coligny
    coligny

Post by coligny Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:45 am

Can anyone help me with a recipe for buffing soap
    coligny
    coligny

Post by coligny Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:52 am

Why ?????if you use caustic soda and soda ash together with tallow you can add much more water and it still gives a hard bar E.g
    lye calculator 700gr tallow 100gr lye 230ml water
    my experiment 550 gr tallow 50 caustic 50 soda ash and 1000ml water it goes into trace same time as normal recipe ??????????

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content