Aussie Soapers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A meeting place for soap making addicts in Australia and New Zealand.

Honey in soap.... how much can you add?

Claire
    Claire

Honey in soap.... how much can you add? Empty Honey in soap.... how much can you add?

Post by Claire Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:45 am

I've got senstive skin that seems to get irritated by some essential oils (especially the ones I like Sad ). Anyway, I'd still like the soap I make to smell of something and have been trying out some honey recipes..

My question is how much honey can I get away with adding? scratch

I recently made a batch with 5% honey i.e 5% of the base oils, so 34 g of honey in total of 681 g oil - Olive (90%) + Castor (10%), 6% lye discount, 20% water discount.

I used my small wooden mold (holds about 900 mL) which has quite thick walls. When I cut it 2 days later it was slightly crumbly instead of having that nice "like cutting soft cheese" feel to it.

Is this cos it overheated in the mold? Should I use a thinner walled mold and/or chill it in the freezer after pouring? or is 5% just too much honey? I had a smidge of beeswax in there as well (4g) as read somewhere it prevents ash forming.. It didn't totally work as had some ash - could the beeswax also be contributing to it overheating?

On the plus side, the colour is good and it smells nice + it seems to be solid enough to use Cool , just doesn't look so lovely where it was cut due to it crumbling a bit.

Also has anyone had experience with using beeswax to prevent ash forming? how much did you use?

Cheers
    Claire

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:25 am